Vegan oral care and products do not contain animal products or products derived from animals. Those who want vegan oral care should know that it might be attainable but at some expense for those who don't research properly. Below is an overview of vegan dental care.
Vegans differ in how they define veganism., especially when it comes to dental treatments and products. For example, some vegans avoid all animal products. Others also avoid products that researchers have tested on animals.
Animal products find their way into dental products in several ways. For example:
- Gelatin from animals, such as hooves and bones, is in some dental medications
- Catgut sutures for dental surgeries come from collagen sources from animals
- Some toothpaste contains animal ingredients, such as animal-derived glycerin
Those who want vegan dental treatments and products go to great lengths to avoid animal products. For example, you may have to seek treatment from dentists who only use vegan products in their practice. You must also research all dental products, ingredients, and manufacturing processes to get vegan ones.
There is nothing wrong with restricting yourself to vegan dental care. However, you should not do so at the expense of your oral health. Here are some tips to help you maintain oral health whether you want vegan oral care:
- Ensure your toothpaste and mouthwash has all the relevant ingredients, with the main one being fluoride. Some vegan toothpaste eliminates fluoride from their ingredients. However, you need fluoride since it strengthens the enamel and protects the teeth from acid and bacteria.
- For proper research on vegan oral products, consult your dentist or product manufacturers for accurate and unbiased information.
- Avoid dental products whose safety and effectiveness you cannot confirm. The American Dental Association (ADA) tests and certifies dental products for their safety and effectiveness. Ensure all products you use have the ADA Seal of Acceptance.
Ensure you brush twice daily and floss at least daily, irrespective of your choice of dental products. Good oral hygiene is the best defense against oral diseases. You should also get a regular professional dental cleaning to remove plaque and tartar that brushing and flossing alone cannot remove.
Whether you prefer vegan oral care, the main thing is to keep your mouth clean and prevent oral diseases. Consult your dentist about your lifestyle and dental care choices. They will be happy to help you maintain good oral health.